Note: Today we’re featuring a guest post by Eva T., a two time Olympian in Alpine Skiing and a 12 year veteran of the U.S. Ski Team. Hundreds of people from all walks of life have benefited from her popular, personal and online coaching and health orientated recommendations.
Intention, Missed Workouts & Support
With our busy lifestyles and the abundance of incoming stimuli, it often seems that our intention to workout is there, but suddenly the day is over and we are left with regret that we didn’t put aside enough time to just “get it done.” I often find this to be my own personal story and have learned that when I miss workouts I have usually over scheduled my day and under prioritized my workout. When being short on time is combined with a long and complicated workout, the result at the end of the day is often a big exercise net zero. When being short on time impacts energy, just the thought of getting started is daunting.
My default in this situation was to text a fellow trainer: “Send me a quick workout. I have 20 minutes and no equipment.” When I received the workout, my reaction was, “yeah! I can totally do this!”
Soon my friends got involved. They started to text me and ask for an ‘on the fly’ workout. I’d send them workouts by request and they loved it! They wanted more. That was then that the inspiration came for the Eva T. Pocket Workout e-book. What if I could provide a series of workouts that could easily pop up on your mobile device? That would be an incredibly handy tool for anyone.
The keys to Pocket Workouts:
- Keep them short.
- No equipment needed.
- Make them FUN.
- Keep them simple (practically anyone could do them).
- Keep them safe, efficient, and effective.
Consistency is key to training, and even a short, simple workout can provide a stimulus that maintains, and possibly pushes adaptation. So, my recommendation is to have some workouts on standby so that the hurdle of beginning and finishing is not so high BUT YOU GET IT DONE!
- Plan minimally, be spontaneous, and always have workout clothes in the car so you can be ready whenever and wherever.
- Identify which locations are best for you to complete your workout.
- Choose a workout that gives you the ability to complete your task in the time and space you have. For instance, you would not pick a running workout if you are going to be downtown all day, but maybe one where you can use some empty office space.
- Double up and do your workout during “outdoor” time that you have set aside. For example: if you are going to the beach with your family, choose a workout you can accomplish there. If you are going on a hike, one of the interval workouts listed can add an extra challenge.
- Get your friends and family involved! Working out with a group improves compliance and helps with consistency.
The demand for workouts, anytime and anywhere was not only a need I had, but also one that became popular amongst my colleagues and friends. Eva T’s Pocket WorkoutTM e-book is a way to share the idea and some fun workouts with everyone.
In the book you will get 30 workouts that you can use in order or randomly. Also there are some instructional videos and some basic guidelines on day-to-day training.
I realize that going into the gym on a glorious day, or skipping a workout because your schedule is booked can be a bummer. My hope is that by providing a solution to staying consistent with your workouts will help you feel satisfied, confident and fit at the end of each day.
Preview your copy of Eva T’s Pocket Workout e-book
Eva T. is a two time Olympian in Alpine Skiing and a 12 year veteran of the U.S. Ski Team. She is a World Technical Skiing Champion and has won 6 National Championships, a World Championship Bronze Medal and, in 2011, was inducted into the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame. She is also a Masters Weightlifting Champion and is now applying her experiences, training, and education as a Kalish Institute Certified Functional Wellness Practitioner to helping others achieve and maintain health, strength and fitness. Hundreds of people from all walks of life have benefited from her popular, safe and solid, personal and online coaching and health orientated recommendations.
Subscribe to the Whole9 Newsletter
Fill out the form below to stay updated about Whole9 articles, discounts and events.