weight gain 101

Weight Gain 101

or, Why You’re Still Skinny

Skinny. Scrawny. Underweight. Lanky. Hard-gainer. Ectomorph. These are all different (and not typically complimentary) terms for people who are naturally predisposed to a leaner body type with less muscle mass compared to people who gain (and maintain) both  muscle and fat more easily. I’m sure you know someone who fits each of these types: the friend who can eat anything she wants (pizza! brownies! ice cream!) and still keep her stomach just as ripped as ever, and the guy who just thinks about lifting weights and puts on muscle.

To those of us with the opposite body type, these people have been pretty annoying—but that stops now. Here’s why.

Question Everything

When people say, “I want to gain weight,” they really mean, “I want to gain muscle.” (I’ve never heard anyone ask for help gaining just fat.) But as I wrote in my Clean Mass Gain article a couple years back, it’s important to know where you want to go if you want to be successful getting there. I know, it sounds like a no-brainer, but it’s overlooked more often than you’d think—you must know the why before you jump into the how.

Why do you think you need to gain weight? What is the desired outcome, and what does it mean to you? Almost all reasons for wanting to gain weight fall into one of these broad categories:

One: “I want to gain muscle mass to look stronger, bigger, or just more attractive in general.” Both men and women express this aesthetic goal on a regular basis, though it’s usually men who come out and say it this way. The aesthetic influence of muscle mass is what gives both men and women a sexy shape. Sure, it’s great to be able to see muscles by being relatively lean, but it’s the presence of strong, capable muscles that really makes people come across as vibrant, attractive human beings. In my experience, many people focus excessively on leanness for aesthetic outcomes and generally undervalue the influence of strong, shapely muscles.

Two: “I want to gain muscle mass to be healthier, more capable and resilient, and to have a higher quality of life.” You know that strength is a universal property of vibrant, active people, and you know that being underweight and/or weak (which may or may not be an accurate perception of yourself) isn’t the healthiest situation long-term.

Three: “I want to gain muscle mass to perform better at my sport or competitive exercise event.” This is a tricky one, because gaining muscle mass does not guarantee better strength or power production, and in sports where speed or strength-to-weight ratio matters, gaining muscle mass may actually hinder your performance, or push you into a different weight class. Nonetheless, many athletes do need to get stronger, and an appropriately designed training program can help achieve those performance goals, and stimulate muscle growth (when supported by smart lifestyle choices).

Do a little introspection, and see if you can determine which of these three statements above most accurately describes your motivation for wanting to gain muscle mass. Once you know why you want to gain muscle, that knowledge can help to guide the steps you take to achieve your goal.

Limitations to gaining weight (i.e. muscle) are highly personal. For legitimately underweight folks, the challenges and mechanisms that limit weight gain are very different than lean, muscular folks who simply want even more muscle mass.

You can loosely categorize challenges for muscle growth into two categories:

One: Getting building blocks for muscle to where it matters—not just into your mouth. “Just eat more” is only partially solving the problem, since you have to get the right molecules to the right places in order to build muscle. Eating – and absorbing – the right food is the name of this game. You may or may not be addressing these things properly.

Two: Creating and supporting the physical and psychological context that prompts your body to build that Former Food into muscle tissue. This is the much harder (and most overlooked) aspect of mass gain. We’ll be breaking this huge topic down in part two of this series.

Food Challenges

We’re going to start out by talking about the food. It goes without saying that if you don’t eat enough of the right food, gaining muscle will be very difficult, if not impossible (barring the use of synthetic hormones). But it’s not just about how much of what you’re eating.

Here are most of the food-related reasons that weight gain may be difficult:

Food troubleshooting #1: You’re not eating enough.
While this is often an incorrect, one-size-fits-all cop-out explanation for mass gain difficulties, it’s also often true. Eat more. Add 1,000 calories a day for a month (that means you have to track your intake for a while in order to know how much you are actually eating—sorry). If that does not start to shift your progress in a bigger direction, read on.

Food troubleshooting #2: You have under-eaten for a long time, and you are what I call “underfed & undernourished.”
A lack of micronutrients like vitamins, minerals, cofactors and phytonutrients will make it very difficult for your body to be in an anabolic (growth) state. Choosing nutrient-dense foods and perhaps taking a high-quality multi-nutrient supplement will help to supply the tools with which your body will build new muscle tissue. Nutrient deficiencies can create a considerable stress on the body, and excessive stress = no muscle gain.

Food troubleshooting #3: You’re not digesting and assimilating the food you eat.
Remember, jamming food down your gullet doesn’t mean you’re actually able to make use of that food. I work with people regularly with low stomach acid, low pancreatic enzyme secretion, intestinal dysbiosis, parasites (more common than you might think), food sensitivities, and chronic gut permeability—all of which can impair your body’s ability to access the valuable nutrients in your food and to turn those nutrients into muscle. If you have heartburn, indigestion, bloating, gas, diarrhea or constipation with any regularity (pun intended), it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor or functional medicine practitioner about solving some of those digestive tract problems. An unhappy gut makes for an unhappy (and unsuccessful) mass gainer.

Food troubleshooting #4: You’re choosing the wrong foods.
Protein, fiber, and water (in food as well as liquids consumed with food) are major drivers of satiety, and if you choose foods that are too satiating, you’ll be unable to consume enough calories to support mass gain. Don’t drink water (or other liquids) with meals. Select foods that are calorie-dense like meat, seafood, eggs, starchy vegetables, fruit, avocado, coconut and olive oil. Prioritizing calorie-dense, nutritious food over lower-calorie nutritious food (or just calorie-dense, low-nutrient food products) is the key. Arugula and cauliflower and zucchini are not mass gain fuel, even though they’re healthy choices. Don’t be afraid of fruit, carb-dense vegetables, and (if you tolerate them) white rice or potatoes, especially post-workout. In terms of supporting a growth environment, nutrient-dense carbohydrate is a friend, not a foe.

Food troubleshooting #5: You’re trying to maintain certain mathematical proportions of macronutrients.
How many grams of protein/carbohydrate/fat do you need to eat to gain mass? More. Skip the math. P.S. The Zone is Weight Watchers for underfed exercisers. Fact.

Food troubleshooting #6: You’re being neurotic about food choices/sourcing.
If you’re stressing out about whether your eggs were laid by hens that consumed some GMO feed, you’re expending considerable mental energy focusing on things that probably detract from your task at hand. (And no, I don’t think that GMO commodity crops are awesome, but you have to choose your battles.)

If you haven’t addressed all of these food-related limitations, now is the time. If most of this stuff sounds familiar and you’re totally nailing it, stay tuned for next week’s installment. We’ll talk about the rest of your muscle-gaining limitations… all the stuff that isn’t food-related. Now go eat something nutritious.

Related articles: Weight Gain 201

Fill out the form below to stay updated about Whole9 articles, discounts and events.

Comments

I recently just went through a consultation with Dallas to assist me with similar issues in maintaing and gaining weight while following a cleaner diet and while on the Whole30. I cannot say enough good things about my experience with the staff of the Whole9 and the incredible professionalism of Dallas. This guy knows his stuff and presents it in a manner that makes it easy to understand. If anyone has issues building or maintaing muscle, not matter your reasons for it, should try consulting with him. I promise you wont be dissapointed!

Hi,
    Thank you for this article I used to be one of the skinny guys but I never thougt about the different types (skinny, hard-gainer, etc.) and I never really defined where I want to go. Your writing helped me to go trough my plans and correct them where neccessary.

Keep it up

3. Claudia says

How do you know if you are constipated and have an unhealthy gut? I know it sounds like a stupid question but what are the “normal, healthy parameters” of elimination? I have tried so many things to be regular but it never seems to work, it might function well for a week or so but I always go back to a sluggish state. Thanks for your help!

• says

There are so many great health supplements out there that will help your performance. It is beyond me how people can still cling to the old school view of natural is always better. Im not saying use illegal substances like steroids etc. What im saying is that technology has come so far and the muscle building supplement industry has benefited tremendously.
      In my opinion its foolish not to take advantage of some sort of performance enhancer, whether it be something as simple as bcaa’s, a pre-workout, to a testosterone booster. All these have the ability to speed up the muscle building process.

Lean Muscle Formula

4. Adrienne Black says

I work with high school athletes and I get asked this question all the time, always by boys and almost always by football players. Usually it’s a lean athletic kid who is a key player and just wants to be bigger to fit the mold. The other issue they are dealing with is puberty and most of them haven’t reached that place in their life where they are ready to build more muscle, on top of the fact that they never take any time off from training and definitely do not eat enough to support muscle gain. No matter how much you tell them that more doesn’t equal better, they do not listen. They will lift during the day, practice after school, then go to 24 Hour Fitness after practice and lift some more. Do you have any specific advice that you give adolescent competitive athletes?

• Deana says

Great question! Following! Young athletes are not ready to put the mass on, yet we are trying to force it. I wonder what the pitfalls are from this stress.

Thank you for the topic to discuss the fitness and bodybuilding.
    well there are lot of supplements is available in the market but the important is that which supplements give the best result.. For this the Progain 350 is the good option for making the body building or to gain the weight.
    Progain 350 is a universal genius! The capsules accelerate the mass construction enormously by putting various processes in the body in motion. Progain 350 acts to a stimulating effect on the testosterone-producing cells. By increased testosterone levels in the blood, it is possible to build muscle much faster, because testosterone is a very potent growth hormone! You should try this for once and this is the good for making body building.

Thank you for the topic to discuss the fitness and bodybuilding.

Supplement is necessary for the production of bodybuilding or weight gain, but the supplements have no side effects and gives the best result in time. In my view some supplements are best followed for this purpose, then, are the Nitro-X Pro.

Nitro-X Pro are the hard workers and it serves as fuel for the body building that runs muscle growth with Nitro-X Pro its goals too high, because it have a abolute professional agent.This supplement full potential and maximum muscle gain possible , You have to buy Nitro-X Pro and try again, these for the body building.

Ich werde auch meine Sichtweisen gemeinsam zu diesem Thema hier.

Progain350 steigert die Produktion von Stickoxid. Stickoxid sorgt für eine bessere Durchblutung und Nährstoffversorgung der einzelnen Muskeln, eine optimale Stimulanz für den Muskelaufbau! Neben dieser Wirkung weist Progain 350 noch mehr muskelaufbauende-Eigenschaften auf. Testosteron ist ein männliches Wachstumshormon und hat signifikanten Einfluss aus den Körper, vorallem beim Kraftsport. Progain 350 regt die Körpereigene Testosteron Produktion an und sorgt so für mehr Kraft und Ausdauer beim Sport.

Ich werde auch meine Sichtweisen gemeinsam zu diesem Thema hier.

This is nice article on the topic weight gain .

To weight the gain various supplements are available in market but few of them is giving good result.
    So you will try the Testinate 250 . This is the good supplement for weight gain and muscle building.

Now I can understand why I could not gain….This article is very helpful for me

A lack of micronutrients like vitamins, minerals, cofactors and phytonutrients will make it very difficult for your body to be in an anabolic (growth) state. Choosing nutrient-dense foods and perhaps taking a high-quality multi-nutrient supplement will help to supply the tools with which your body will build new muscle tissue.

i would like to read this kind of article ahead..

With Progain 350 and Testinate 250 to increased power and performance

You want to build muscle and burn fat at the same time? We have collected 350 experiences with Progain. If you can not reach the goal you can work out sometimes because you lack strength? No matter what you have learned so far about muscle pills, Progain 350 and Testinate 250 offer you the ultimate support in training. Laxity was yesterday.

ProGain 350 and Testinate 250 reviews

Upon turning 40 I told myself to make a large change in my life. Here is my ProGain-350 and Testinate 250 review. I was trapped in a dead-end job, was unmarried, no children, lived on my own and was really fat to boot. So I decided, if I can at least change my body I could be in with a decent chance of getting a promotion. I’d always seen other guys out there who were in better shape than I was who’d always pick up women or get a promotion at work – it was time I got in on the action!. In the end I boughtthese particular products because I’d read some Pro Gain-350 and Testinate 250 reviews on some muscle blogs on the internet and they sounded like the best value for money. I didn’t want to bother with whey protein given that with that stuff you need to exercise for months on end, even years, to witness the slightest changes. With testosterone boosters you can notice real muscle growth in only 4 weeks. I was looking for a quick fix solution and these products meant that I could loose weight and get stacked simultaneously. After a month I began to get the odd compliment from some of the lasses in the office, one even asked me out for a drink! Now that I have a decent body I’m going to play the field with the ladies so that I can make up for some lost time. its hard to believe that success can come simply from looking and feeling good. If you have muscles and dress well then there is almost no limit to what you can achieve. I strongly encourage you to do your own research an read some more ProGain 350 and Testinate reviews .

ProGain and Testinate.250

ProGain-350 and Testinate.250are two world-class supplements within the body building scene. ProGain is a pre-workout supplement to be taken before you go to the fitness studio on the other hand Testinate-250 is an after work-out formula to be taken after your gym session. Both products work as testosterone boosters, which means they naturally boost testosterone levels in the body, which is crucial for people out there who have a desire to to improve muscle strength, improve strength and drop body fat. Studies show that healthy testosterone levels in men improves their performance both at the gym and in the sack. The only problem is, as our bodies get older, testosterone levels in the body can make is also reduced. By taking ProGain in combination with Testinate-250 you can revive your level of testosterone production back to those of an early 20 year old when hormone production is at its highest.

Pro-Gain 350 and Testinate 250 effects

ProGain 350 and Testinate 250 are constructed of 5 independently verified and blended ingredients which work with one another to signal to your body to produce more testosterone. The upcoming section highlights the reported ProGain-350 and Testinate 250effects. This is where Pro-Gain 350 and Testinate.250 are different from other testosterone boosterson the market. Given that other supplements attempt to feed the body directly with testosterone, Pro Gain-350 and Testinate.250 work by influencing the body’s hormone cycle encouraging it to make more testosterone itself. For best results these supplements must be taken together – ProGain prior to going to the gym and Testinate-250 upon finishing going to the gym. In this way the products can work to produce testosterone at the same time in the brain and the testicles. The ingredients in both supplements ensure the steady production of the luteinizing hormone (LH) from the gonadotroph cells almost as soon as the supplement is consumed. LH flows at pace to the testicles directly through the blood stream and promotes testosterone production. The effects of ProGain 350 and Testinate 250
    are that they work directly on the testicles to aid the processes of key enzymes that change cholesterol into testosterone.