Whole30-official-header-360

The All New Whole30.com

Happy New Year, happy Whole30 Day 1, and happy birthday to our newest “baby”: the all new http://whole30.com.

For those of you starting the program today (or those thinking about it now that the holidays are officially closed), visit our new site and check out all of the new resources we’ve created to make your program that much easier. Walk through one of our two “get started” tracks, preview what happens during life after your Whole30, and read today’s Whole30 article, Spanking the Pomegranate. (Because that’s how we’re rolling in 2014.)

Happy New Year from the Whole9 and Whole30 team. Let’s make 2014 our happiest, healthiest year yet!

Comments

1. Joe says

Any added sweetener is not okay, but I came across a bottle of Coconut Sap that can be used. There were no other ingredients in the list. Is it okay for the Whole 30 diet?

2. Ashley says

I’m currently on day 2 of the Whole30 program, but was wondering about medication. Are medications okay during the program (things like Advil, Tylenol, cough medicine) for headaches or colds? Or do you recommend other alternatives?

Thanks,
    Ashley

Great job getting people started in a more fit and healthy lifestyle. Sugar is one of the best things to get rid of in 2014. And regular exercising is one of the best things to add. I wish everyone the best in 2014!

4. Toya says

I have been playing with this lifestyle for about two months. Today I really became frustrated with feeling tired and sick and taking medications for my type 2 diabetes and hypothyroidism. I walked into books a million purchased it starts with food and a journal I started my whole 30 with today being day 0 and I’m ready to undergo this change.

Ashley, medications as prescribed or recommended by your health care professional are always appropriate on the Whole30 – doctor’s orders always trump Whole30 rules. If you are considering an over-the-counter medicaiton, just read your labels, as most cough/cold medicines won’t be Whole30 compliant. At that point, you’ll have to decide for yourself whether reducing your symptoms is more important than our program rules. Please make the call that is best for your health! As for OTC pain relief, you can take Advil, aspirin, etc. but we recommend Tylenol, as NSAID medications can mess with your gut.

Toya, welcome to the program! So happy you have decided to take control of your health with the Whole30. Keep us posted as to how you are doing, and please visit the new http://whole30.com to help you get started with the program.

6. Ashley says

Melissa,

Have you heard of people on the program going through withdrawal emotionally? Symptoms like crying a lot, anxiety or stomach in knots? I know the book said it will get worse before it gets better, and I’m on day 4 so I wasn’t sure if this is a potential symptom to the program and my body’s way of recalibrating?

Thanks,
    Ashley

Ashley, yeah, I have. Food is inherently emotional, and between the blood sugar roller coaster you may be on and what’s going on in your brain, you very well may find yourself emotional during your first week. Be extra-kind to yourself and see if you can identify the source of your discomfort. Are you anxious because you’re afraid you’ll never be able to eat these foods ever again? Are you missing your preferred form of “comfort” and feeling all alone?

The good news is that things should regulate (even this) by your second week. Keep us posted over at http://whole30.com.

8. Lorissa says

I’m just starting the whole30 (autoimmune protocol version) and have a question regarding red meat. I have read before that red meat causes inflammation and isn’t the more healthier choice of meat. What are your thoughts on this? I’m trying to plan my meals and want to make sure I’m making the right choices. thank you!

Lorissa, you don’t have to be afraid of eating a moderate amount of healthy red meat (ideally, grass-fed, pastured, and organic) as part of your varied diet. Read this Robb Wolf article for details:http://robbwolf.com/2012/03/14/red-meat-part-healthy-diet/

We generally vary our protein sources, so we eat some red meat, some chicken, some seafood, some eggs, and some pork during the course of our meat. You can arrange the proportions of those foods in a way that feels comfortable to you.

10. Keith Paniucki says

Hello, I’m on day 28 and about to rap it up. Things have gone great so far as I certainly have learned that I’m not food dependent and really didn’t crave a lot of stuff. Ice cream and pizza probably were the most missed. Black coffee took a few days to get use to but not a prob. My question sis this, About 10 days in I had a panic attack because I felt like I was going to faint or felt dizzy and I went on-line and ready that people do have certain symptoms that are similar. Well it still comes and go and I don’t have a panic attack thinking I’m having a heart attack or something. I just get this dizzy or light headed feeling and me don’t like. I have never had anything like this before so I certainly feel I can contribute it to the Whole30. I have been BY THE BOOK for the whole 28 days even felt bad taking a vanilla/Brown sugar bubble bath thinking the brown sugar might be seeping in my system. Some wrote that it could be sodium shortage or carbs, I would really like to solve this because I want to continue eating this way but will have to modify if I can’t figure it out. This is pretty much my daily diet. Breakfast 2-3 eggs scrambled with a small bowl of fruit. Lunch normally a salad with some form of meat and some cashews. Dinner normally a meat and veggies and sometimes a small bowl of fruit. I only use spinach for my salad so I feel I’m getting plenty of veggies. HELP PLEASE

Keith, I’m not a doctor, but these do not sound like normal Whole30 side effects. I’d highly recommend seeing your medical professional immediately, just to make sure you don’t have something else going on. It’s possible that you’re just experriencing bouts of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which can occur when people who are serious sugar-burners start eating a lower-carb diet. But I can’t say that is what is happening for sure, and I wouldn’t even want to try to “diagnose” what’s going on over the internet. Please work with your doctor to make sure you’re okay, and that you’re implementing these diatary changes in a safe and healthy way for you.

12. Sarah says

I’m on day 10, and I woke up this morning with a cold (sore throat, congestion, etc). I rarely get sick, so this was a surprise for me. I talked to a friend who is doing whole 30 for the second time, and she said she experienced a sinus infection somewhere in the first and second week. Is this common? I wondered if this was a result of my body ridding itself of toxins. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah!

Some folks find that their immune system takes a temporary dip while their body makes these adjustments. It sounds like you’ve come down with something, so I’d encourage you to read Melissa’s comments about about medications if you need them. Feel better soon!

14. Amanda says

Hi. I saw that you can’t have peanut butter… Im wondering why. Can you have peanuts? I thoughts nuts were allowed.

15. Michelle says

I’m on day 19 of my Whole30 and all is going well except for the last week or so, I’m getting lots of “head-rushes”. It’s usually when I get in or out of bed, turning over in bed and right after a workout. I’m doing plenty of water and eating good. What’s missing? I’d like to hear this is somewhat normal because it’s starting to freak me out.

Trackbacks