Success

Whole30® Success Story: We (Heart) Gerry C.

Earlier this week, Gerry C. from San Jose, CA wrote us a quick note about her Whole30 experience… and the entire Whole9 team promptly fell in love. For those of you who think, “It’s too late for that” or “I’m too old to make any changes” or “Will this really make a difference at this point?”, this article is for you.

Rock on, Gerry!

In Gerry’s Own Words

I am an almost 71 year old granny who has been diabetic for more than 24 years, taking pills and insulin for more than five years. I’ve had aortic valve replacement and bypass surgery, have arthritis, high blood pressure, and third-stage chronic kidney disease.  I’ve been fat most of my life, and have had migraines since I was six years old.

I started the Whole30® program on November 5, 2012,  twelve and a half weeks ago.  At the time I had been having almost constant migraines for more than six weeks.  Since that day, I have not had a full blown migraine.  The few that have threatened me just don’t seem to develop.

In December 2012, I began having problems with low blood sugar—so I started decreasing my insulin.  In a few weeks, I was able to come off the insulin altogether.  Recent blood test show that my A1c (a test of blood sugar levels over six to eight weeks, and a marker of inflammation) is lower than it has been in years.  I have cut my blood pressure medicine in half.

My arthritis pain is not as awful. I now feel like going walking.  My husband got me a cat stroller for Christmas so I can walk comfortably without having to take my cane.

Oh, and I have lost 22 pounds.

And we are doing the Whole30 on Social Security.

Not only can old people do this, you can do it with less than “perfect” food choices.  I appreciated your Paleo Poor guidelines and we have become rather good at shopping for the best we can get under the circumstances.

I keep referring back to It Starts With Food.  My whole family is benefiting from this program, but I will let them tell you about it when they are ready.

Thank you!

Gerry C., San Jose, CA

gerry-C-picture

Comments

I LOVE IT!

You go, Gerry! You’re absolutely right — it is NEVER too late to feel better and reclaim your health. Good for you, and keep it up! You’re an inspiration. =)

2. Erin says

I LOVE YOU GERRY! This is so inspiring, I’m going to pass it on to everyone, especially my mom, who is on day 7 of her first Whole30.

Wow Gerry, I will show your story to all of my friends who are half your age and do not have the courage to change their lifestyles for the better – great inspiration, thank you for sharing your story with us!!

4. Gerry says

Thank you Melissa and Whole9 crew. I am so happy to be feeling so much better and feeling so successful! Now I need to start researching gentle exercises for old people. It is amazing to me that I am even considering that. Whole30 is a life changer!

5. Suzy Snow says

Granny Gerry has encouraged me to start whole30! Now, I just need to figure out what to do to get started. You are so inspiring and I’m so happy for your success!!!

How wonderful!! Congratulations on your outstanding results!! I know you will inspire many more to learn what Whole30 can do for THEIR families.

7. Gerry says

Thank you Melissa.

I plan to let you know when I pass some new milestones. (I won’t report every pound, but I have lost one more.) I am already able to walk/stroll for more than 30 minutes, which beats the 15 that usually did me in. I am looking forward to even more medicine reduction, and WHEN I lose 14 more pounds, you will be able to hear me shouting from there. I went over 190 when I was pregnant with our first, he will be 50 next week.

Thank everyone for all the comments. Even encouragers need encouragement, so you are a big help to me.

GrannyGerry

8. Crystal S. says

This is amazing! Good for you Gerry C.! I’m sending your story to some people I think could use the motivation.

9. Vicki says

Wow, Gerry! You are such an inspiration. I’m just on day 3 of my first Whole 30 and I needed some encouragement like this to get through the first week. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

10. Gerry says

Vicky,
    You hang in there. It is so worth it! Not only have I lost 5 more pounds since that post, I now SLEEP when I go to bed at night instead of staying wake until 3:00 or 4:00 AM. I now must cut my BP meds into 1/4ths. My friend is visiting, and she said yesterday that she thinks I am younger than I was last year when we were together.
    And you should see my 16 year old grandson! He has not only lost weight and is more able to concentrate so he is doing better in school, his skin is clear and he looks GREAT.
    So keep at it! I am on your team!
    Gerry (AKA GrannyGerry)

11. KeepTrying says

So inspiring! People don’t believe that giving up processed food and sugar and grains will make “that much” of a difference to be worthwhile not having those favorite foods. You have to experience it to believe it!

Trackbacks