tessemae's-marinade

Welcome Tessemae’s to the Whole30 Approved Family

One of the most commonly asked condiment questions on our Whole30 Forum is, “What kind of salad dressing can I have on the Whole30® program?”  The answer is usually, “The kind you make yourself.” Our moderators are big proponents of getting crafty in the kitchen, and often recommend making your own condiments (mayo, barbecue sauce, and even salad dressing) because it can be very difficult to find a pre-made variety made without soy, sugar, seed oils, or other off-plan ingredients.  But, for those of you who just aren’t feeling your inner Martha Stewart, there is a light in your dressing darkness.

Welcome Tessemae’s to the Whole30® Approved Family

Tessemae’s original dressing was created by a mother (Tesse Vetter) looking for a way to get more vegetables into her family’s diet without drowning them in loads of chemical-laden, sugar-filled dressings. Every batch of every flavor is made by hand with love, from Mom’s original recipes.

Greg Vetter, who originally encouraged his mom to market her dressing to Whole Foods Market, says their company, “refuses to compromise on ingredients or cheapen processes in order to move products. We make them with our hands with real ingredients. We don’t hot-fill the dressing or use thickening agents. We don’t replace fresh ingredients with science projects.”

All Tessemae’s dressing have, at just five to seven ingredients – all pronounceable, all healthy, and all Whole30 approved. They use olive oil as a base, instead of the cheaper (and less healthy) soybean or canola oils used by most commercially-produced dressings. This family-run company calls their growing dressing empire a “wild dream,” based on great products, hard work, heart, soul, and good karma.

Eight Delicious Ways to Flavor Your Whole30 Meals

With eight Whole30 Approved flavors (Lemon Garlic, Cracked Pepper, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Lemonette, Zesty Ranch, Grapefruit Poppyseed, Oil Free Italian, and Hot Sauce/Wing Sauce) there’s a Tessemae’s dressing to suit every taste.  You can find their dressings in Whole Foods Market in the eastern United States and in the Rocky Mountain region, or you can order online.

As a special treat for our readers, Tessemae’s is offering 10% off all online orders from now through November 22, 2012 with the discount code “Whole30″!

Looking for some delicious new ways to use your Tessemae’s? Check out our own Erin Handley’s fantastic creation (just in time for football season): Tessemae’s Buffalo Chicken Meatballs.

Tessemae’s Buffalo Chicken Meatballs

(makes 12 large meatballs)

Ingredients:

• 1 lb ground chicken (I used ground chicken thighs)
  • 1 clove garlic finely minced
  • 1/2 stalk celery finely minced
  • 2 green onions finely minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup Tessemae’s Wing Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp coconut flour

Directions:

• Before you start your prep, pull Tessemae’s Ranch and Wing Sauce dressings out of the fridge, and pop them into a bowl of warm water. They’re ready to go when they’re easily shake-able.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a cookie sheet and set aside.
  • Combine all ingredients well,  add more coconut flour as necessary to make the mixture thick enough to form into balls.
  • Shape meatballs with your hands.
  • Place meatballs on the cookie sheet in rows. Cook for 15 minutes, baste with more Tessemae’s Wing Sauce, then cook for another 5 minutes (or until cooked all the way through).

Dip meatballs, carrot sticks, and celery sticks in Tessemae’s Ranch Dressing, or put meatballs on top of a bed of lettuce and drizzle with dressing. Serve, and enjoy a healthy, hearty meal Whole30-style!

Comments

1. Jamie says

Their site does not show any ingredients and they have a “flavor” called soy ginger. Are you sure this is okay?

2. Jamie says

Sorry I should have read this better. I see the approved flavors now. I’ve been looking for other ways to zest up my salads so this is very exciting!!!

We started adding their Zesty Ranch to my buffalo wings, and I don’t think we’ll ever turn back. They’re dressings are awesome!

4. Holly says

Their stuff is amazing! They came and did a demo for our gym, all of the dressings are amazing. Love them and glad you are giving them your support!

5. Kim says

It’s too bad the site doesn’t list the ingredients. I’d like to know that before I order. Plus, you only have the option to buy 2 bottles at a time. I guess I’ll have to see if my local Whole Foods carries it so I can just taste test one bottle and be able to read the ingredients.

I will pass this feedback along to Tessemae’s, but I can assure you the I ingredients are all things you can pronounce, and things you already eat! The lemon dressing, for example, uses only olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and salt… Delicious!

FYI, here are the ingredients for six of Tessemae’s approved dressings, so you have a reference point. (We’ll try to get the other two for you).

Lemon Garlic: Olive Oil, Organic Lemons, Organic Garlic, Mustard, Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper:

Balsamic: Olive Oil, Organic Lemons, Organic Garlic, Mustard, Sea Salt, Organic Balsamic Vinegar

Lemonette: Olive Oil, Organic Lemons, Organic Garlic, Mustard, Sea Salt

Zesty Ranch: Olive Oil, Organic Lemons, Organic Garlic, Mustard, Sea Salt, Spices

Grapefruit Poppyseed: Olive Oil, Organic Lemons, Organic Garlic, Mustard, Sea Salt, Organic Grapefruit Juice, Poppyseed

Hot Sauce/Wing Sauce: Cayenne Peppers, Vinegar, Olive Oil, Organic Lemons, Organic Garlic, Mustard, Sea Salt

Oil Free Italian:

Olive Oil
    Organic Lemons
    Organic Garlic
    Mustard
    Sea Salt
    Cracked Pepper

All the ingredient information is on the site. Please find details on the link below or click “About Our Product”

You don’t know how happy this makes me feel to have Tessemae’s on Whole9. I did my first whole30 challenge in March 2012 and haven’t looked back. After losing 50lbs i stopped caring about the scale.

Whole9, Crossfit and Tessemae’s have just been a wonderful blend and can’t wait to hear your stories and journey’s.

Melissa/Dallas – your book is awesome!

Dan
    Tessemae’s CFO

Tessemae’s dressing/sauces are amazing to say the least! We are in the midst of a nutrition challenge at Alpine CrossFit and Tessemae’s came to our meeting and cooked for us using many of their flavors! Great company and great product! The buffalo wing sauce tastes just like hot wings from your favorite restaurant! Cracked pepper is my other favorite! Run, don’t walk to Whole Foods and grab a few bottles!!

11. Linda says

Bought a couple of different flavors over the weekend at Whole Foods. This is good stuff. Thanks for featuring this product.

12. ashly says

The first ingredient in most of these is Olive Oil. I hate olive oil on my salad. Does it just taste like someone is pouring flavored olive oil on salad? Is the texture oily?

13. Heather says

We don’t have a whole foods near my home so while my husband was out of town yesterday on business, I sent him to a whole foods to stock up on the dressings. He got home last night and by chance, I double checked the ingrediants. I am so thankful I did because the bottles of Tessamae’s Italian that he brought home have Agave Nectar as an ingredient not “organic date puree” (which is on their website). I would have been very upset if I had to reset at day 10 because of this mistake. Just thought I would share since it contradicts the above. Thanks for all you guys do!

Heather,

Please email me at dups@tessemaes.com. For the Oil-Free Italian, we modified our recipe during our August ’12 production runs. It looks like you bought a bottle that had the old recipe and old labels.

Please shoot me an email and we will send you our Oil-Free Italian with pureed dates free of charge. We no longer use Agave for any of our dressings. We do apologize for any inconvenience. All bottles since August use organic pureed dates.

Ashly,
    We pride ourselves on making the most delicious, simple, all-natural dressing dips and marinade. Please let me know if there is a wholefoods near you and i can let you know the next time our demo folks will be around for you to try it out.

15. NIkki says

Why is the Lemon Chesapeake not compliant? The ingredients look good as far as I can tell:

Lemon Chesapeake

Ingredients: Olive Oil, Organic Lemons, Organic Garlic, Mustard, Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper, Spices

Nikki –

That looks great! This post is about 6 weeks old and the guys (and their Mom) are adding new, fantastic flavors all the time. If the ingredients are good, go for it!

Nikki

Robin is correct. Lemon Chesapeake is our new dressing and marinade. If you love seafood it is an awesome marinade / awesome on dressing…..being from Annapolis we love Crab Seasoning. Turns out it’s awesome as a dressing/marinade.

We currently have Lemon Chesapeake available on the East Coast and soon will be in the Colorado/Rocky Mountain region. Always available online.

We will be sure to stay in touch with Whole9Life on the latest and get some more recipes available on our website as well. Big things for 2013. Thanks to Whole9 for their support and each of you for your interest in Tessemae’s. Good luck in each of your goals and please do not hesitate to contact us with comments, questions or suggestions.

18. Debi says

I discovered Tessesmae’s last summer at Whole Foods in Annapolis where they were offering samples. I was hooked from the first taste and bought 2 bottles immediately. This is hands down the BEST salad dressing I’ve ever had. The fact that it is all natural and mostly organic is icing on the cake. (Also love that it’s a local company!) I’ve been buying the Cracked Pepper flavor but I just bought Lemon Chesapeake and can’t wait to try it. DELISH!!

19. Barry says

Thank you for these wholesome products. My 2 favorites, Cracked Pepper and Italian. Yum. Will there ever be a Greek Dressing? Please say, yes.