Paleo for Vegetarians
Our New York Times bestselling book, It Starts With Food, outlines our full strategy for implementing a “Paleo” framework while still honoring your vegetarian or vegan principles. Sounds like an oxymoron, doesn’t it? Well… it kind of is. But that doesn’t mean our vegetarian friends can’t benefit from the concepts behind our program, while still working within the constructs of their self-imposed dietary restrictions.
In this special section of the book, we talk about the best food choices for vegetarians and vegans, ethical resources for responsibly sources animal products, and outline our strategies for minimizing the downsides of a traditional vegetarian diet. It’s a must-read for those of you transitioning out of vegetarianism, wondering how to make your vegetarian/vegan diet as healthy as possible, or helping a friend, client, or loved one improve their health with a Paleo framework.
Additional Resources for Vegetarians and Vegans
In It Starts With Food, we outline several resources for vegetarians and vegans looking to implement a Paleo framework in their own diets. Below is a list of additional resources, as well as our exclusive shopping list for vegetarians and vegans.
- Conversations With a Vegetarian: How to talk Paleo nutrition with your vegetarian friends and family.
- The Whole9 Conscientious Omnivore Series: How to make healthy, responsible high quality animal protein choices, focusing on a variety of issues.
- Eating Meat: A Primer for the Meat Challenged: Easing your transition into eating animal protein sources.
- The Ethics of What We Eat, by Peter Singer and Jim Mason
- Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran-Foer
- Righteous Porkchop, by Nicolette Hahn Niman
- The Mindful Carnivore, by Tovar Cerruli
Finding Good Food
- US Wellness Meats: Buy the highest quality grass-fed, pastured, wild-caught and organic meat, fish and eggs shipped anywhere in the U.S.
- Eat Wild:A comprehensive listing of grass-fed, organic meats and produce in all 50 states and Canada.
- Heritage Foods: Retail food products from heritage and traditionally raised animals, including grass-fed beef, pastured pork and other foods.
As an additional special bonus, download our complete shopping list, specifically tailored for vegetarians and vegans. In our shopping list, we outline the best animal and plant-based sources, to meet the needs of former vegetarians, current vegetarians willing to eat some animal products, and those who abstain from all animal sources. Includes best, better, good and avoid recommendations for eggs, dairy, and plant-based protein sources, plus vegetables, fruit and healthy fats.
We hope these resources help you apply the Paleo framework to your own diets, regardless of how much or how often you include animal protein sources. And remember, simply selecting the healthiest vegetarian protein sources isn’t the full story! The way you portion food on your plate, the preparation methods of plant-based protein sources, the manner in which you supplement and other factors all play a role in the success of your vegetarian diet.
Read It Starts With Food for all the details of how to implement our healthy eating framework for vegetarians and vegans.
Subscribe to the Whole9 Newsletter
Fill out the form below to stay updated about Whole9 articles, discounts and events.