heade564r1

The Whole30 and Infertility: Kristyn’s Story

Today we are featuring a story that brings us much joy, not only because Kristyn and her husband Willy have realized their dream of having children, but because they’ve been friends of ours for quite some time, and helping people you love is just about the best feeling in the world.  Read, be inspired, and pass it along to those you care for.

The Whole30: Kristyn’s Story

My husband and I had been trying to start our family for over three years. We went to a doctor, and I was told that I have Stage IX endometriosis and was diagnosed with infertility; our chances of conceiving naturally were zero. In fact we needed the most rigorous type of infertility treatments, IVF with ICSI, if there was any chance at all.

After a year of multiple surgeries, full time hormonal treatments and two failed IVF cycles, we were broke and devastated. Then, we had the opportunity to talk with Melissa and Dallas about how nutrition plays a huge role in fertility.  They provided us with some information about how their Whole30 program can help address and correct some of the issues related to infertility. I learned that the Whole30 can reduce the inflammation caused by many foods that are not easily digested.  As endometriosis is an inflammatory disease of the reproductive system, the connection made immediate sense to me.

At my wits end, and willing to try anything, I gave their program my all.

After three months, I was feeling (and looking) so much better, which made the dietary change worthwhile regardless! At this time, my husband and I also decided that we would endure one last IVF cycle. I’m elated to say that we are now expecting twin boys in a matter of weeks, our last cycle was a success, and there is no doubt in my mind that the changes in my behavior and lifestyle (most notably, the Whole30 program) had a huge hand in our success.

Melissa and Dallas will never know how grateful we are. Thank you!

Charlie and Willy, born January 24, 2011

Comments

Kristyn and Willy are members of teamUrban and part of our extended family. We are absolutly thrilled that they have the family they wanted so badly. I cant wait to make water rats out of those boys. :>)

That the Whole9 and 30 had a role in the success is simply awesome.

I have a lot to be proud of.

2. Patty Whole9EE says

What a blessing :):) !!! CONGRATS!!! I am a twin mommy too! I wish I had known about the effect of nutrition on my health ,energy & sleep with my chicklettes were little – gosh knows I was run ragged some days!! They are adorable. Can’t wait to share your story :)

3. Amanda says

I am sincerely happy for you! After losing a pregnancy myself I know how hard it can be to want something so bad but feel defeated. I’m glad you stayed persistent and open minded. Those treatments aren’t easy either! Good for you. Enjoy your little ones. I know it’s cliche but they grow up so fast– my little one just started walking this week!

4. Jodi DePorter - Whole 9 EE says

God has blessed you with two adorable bundles of joy! Congrats! Again its awesome to see how lives are transformed by something as basic as nutrition.

5. Kellie says

Happy ending!
    Is there a specific protocol to try with endo specifically, or fertility issues generally?
    Thanks guys

6. Kellie says

Would the autoimmune protocol be advised here, or regular Whole30?
    Thanks to anyone who can help!

Kellie, your specific protocol would depend entirely on your context, your health status and your health history. There is no one-size-fits-all approach. While the Whole30 all by itself has helped more than a few women conceive, others will require a more specific, tailored approach (and personal consulting to arrive at the best plan).

8. Danielle says

Congrats! That is great. Has anyone had any experiences on Male infertility and the Whole 30?

9. Mandee says

So happy and greatful for this post!! Those sweet babies are to die for! I had a question that I can’t seem to find an answer to and maybe I’ve just missed it? Hoping you can help?
    To sum up a long history with infertility, miscarriages and d@c’s, nothing seems to be doing the trick. Whole30 just makes sense to me, since we are what we eat right? So I’ve decided to go full throttle (day 9 for me) in hopes that I can conceive. So, here is my question… WHEN I do conceive, what do I do next?? Do I continue whole 30 and do a whole9months :) with no cheats? Can I eat clean all week and then on Friday date night eat out with the hubs, or Can eating anything not whole30 approved cause a miscarriage? I’m just wondering if there are any studies and/or statistics showing how I should continue through a pregnancy? Thank you in advance!
    Also, I saw the prenatal you suggested and am buying it today! Thanks for all your hard work and for helping my life change for the positive! ( acne is slowly, but finally going away!!) I see it only fitting that you become my new best friend :) ha!

10. dana says

Hi
    I cam across this site looking for info regarding infertility and paleo…

we are trying to get pregnant for the last 3 years (IVF)

where can i find more information about how to improve my fertility with this diet?