Author’s note: We’re featuring Steal This Meal a day early this week, to make way for some very special news tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Today’s STM was a joint submission from Colleen King, her brother Kevin and sister-in-law Emma, of Baltimore, MD. The three of them started their Whole30 on September 1st as a family, and are (in Colleen’s works) “cooking, complaining and celebrating” together along the way. Colleen wrote:
“My brother Kevin, his wife and I are all on the Whole30 wagon. So far, I’ve lost 6 pounds! I feel an energy difference already and am excited to get back to my training for several upcoming races. Plus my body weight is in a range I haven’t seen in two years! My brother already looks very different – his body and face shape have changed, and his wife and I think he looks younger. He also sees some energy improvements – no peaks and valleys anymore, and has gained consistency in his workouts and returned to playing rugby twice a week . (He could never get there before because he was so tired after work.) He also mentions that his recovery is much better, which has led to his consistency. My sister-in-law was dragged into this by Kevin and I. She’s lost 4 pounds, and is getting her feet under her as far as recipes go. She has been very supportive of my brother and me.”
Colleen’s recipe is perfect for the beginnings of fall, and apple season. For those who don’t eat pork, chicken or a dense white fish would work well too.
Steal This Meal: Roasted Apples and Pork with Mint Pesto
- Pork Loin (chops would work, too)
- 3 apples
- Fresh mint leaves — about 3/4 cup
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 2 lemons
- 20 walnuts, chopped
- Sea Salt (optional)
- Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In blender or food processor, place mint leaves (washed and torn), juice from 1/2 lemon, 1/4 cup (or so) of EVOO, 2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp black pepper (or to taste) and blend till smooth.
- Place pork in casserole dish and pour pesto over. Make sure all portions of the meat are covered.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes or until internal temp is 145 degrees.
- Slices apples and place in 2 quart glass casserole dish.
- Squeeze juice from one whole lemon over apples, drizzle with small amount of EVOO (less than 1 Tbsp), sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped walnuts. Toss to makes sure apples are covered with cinnamon and liquid.
- Place plastic wrap over top of casserole dish, poke with about a dozen holes and place in microwave for 2 minutes. Shake apples around and put back in microwave for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from casserole dish and set aside, leaving only liquid in bottom of dish.
- Place greens into same casserole dish, squeeze last 1/2 lemon on greens. Cover with plastic and poke holes. Heat in microwave for 1 minute.
- Place wilted greens on plate and spread apples and walnuts over the top. Enjoy!
Got a delicious, simple list of ingredients for our next Friday recipe feature? Send your Steal This Meal entry (along with photos and YOUR Whole30-inspired story!) to email@example.com. And if you’re looking for more delicious recipe ideas from Whole9 and our readers, just select “Recipes” from the category list on our sidebar!
Subscribe to the Whole9 Newsletter
Fill out the form below to stay updated about Whole9 articles, discounts and events.