The Robb Wolf Fish Oil Calculator

When preparing a nutritional plan for our clients, we always include a recommendation for the proper dose of fish oil. We discuss the benefits of supplementing with Omega-3 fatty acids in all of our workshops, Robb Wolf talks about fish oil in every one of his podcasts and seminars and even the CrossFit Journal got in on the action a few months back, offering a free video download of Dr. Barry Sears expounding on the miracle of fish oil. The general consensus among the community is that fish oil is good for us, and we don’t get a lot of push-back from clients when it comes to actually taking the stuff.

The trouble starts when clients say, “So how much should I take?”

If you’ve heard Robb’s dosage guidelines (which is the method we use for our clients), you’ll know that while the formula is clearly spelled out, the math can be kind of complicated. “Take between 0.5 grams and 1.0 grams per ten pounds of bodyweight, using the EPA + DHA measurements per serving to determine how many pills or teaspoons you need daily.” Um, what?

If you’ve been following the 603 (our old CrossFit affiliate), you’ll know we aren’t afraid of a little math. But these fish oil dose calculations can be tricky, time consuming, and a little intimidating… until today! Yep, we’ve combined Robb’s awesome guidance with our love of math (and Melissa’s nerdy zest for spreadsheets) into…

The Robb Wolf/Whole9 Fish Oil Calculator

Just enter all your bodyweight stats (we’ve even made accommodations for kilos and stone), your Fish Oil Factor, and the details from the label on your particular brand of fish oil and the calculator will automatically generate your daily dose of fish oil.

We worked this out with Robb ahead of time, sending him a prototype and asking for his feedback. Robb wrote, “The fish oil calculator is FANTASTIC. I played around with it a bit and it seems really easy to use. I am honored you would want to slap my pseudo-scientific name on it as well! I came to those numbers by reading material from Poliquin, Berardi, and Sears, we might include that if folks are curious about it.” (Done, and done… check the links above for more information on fish oil, health and nutrition.)

We’ve tested the calculator in Firefox, IE, Chrome and Safari and so far, so good. (If you come across any issues, please email Melissa.) So go on with your Omega-3-loving self and calculate away! It’s just too bad the calculator won’t help you figure out how to pay for all that fish oil. Hmmm, maybe in Version 2.0?

Comments

1. Ben says

Huh. I have been taking 4 – 1000 mg capsules a day. The calculator is telling me I ought to be taking 10. Does that seem right?

@Ben: Yep, that could easily be right, even for an average sized male a 0.5 factor. When I was All Banged Up (post-derailment and way stressed) I was taking in the neighborhood of 20 pills a day.

3. Ben says

Wow! Okay, I’ll give it a shot. So, if I have deduced correctly, I will take 10 a day, until the 3 month mark? At that point I suppose I would revisit the calculator?

4. Carla says

For the Healthy status “Training smart, sleeping well, eating no sugars, grains, dairy or legumes” this assumes no outside O3 sources correct? The calculator tells me to take 5 pills/day which is what I used to take. I stopped supplementing with fish oil though a couple of months ago because I’m buying all my beef grass fed and I’ve eliminated all vegetable oils (to keep my O6s low). I also eat fish on occasion. So, I don’t feel the need to supplement.

Here’s a really great article on this… Dr. Harris is the best!!

5. Christina says

Just tried it out. I already know what I should be taking based on my weight, but this handy dandy thing is pretty awesome!

6. Veronica says

@ Ben: A 1000mg capsule is total fish oil, not just DHA & EPA, which is what you should be basing your calculations.

Pretty nifty Melissa & Dallas, not that our brains don’t need exercising, too. ;-)

@Ben/Carla: This isn’t a “one size fits all”… just a sensible and well-tested set of general guidelines. Obviously, if you’re eating food with good sources of N-3 (like wild-caught fatty fish and grass-fed beef), and/or you’re not eating a ton of N-6 foods (like commercially produced meats, nuts or seed oils) then you may not need as much (or any) supplementation. And if your health status changes (you get sick, you’re on the road and eating out a lot or you decide to train for a marathon), you may have to re-evaluate your needs yet again.

With respect to ANY nutritional recommendations posted here – we’re just trying to get people started with those general guidelines that have worked the best for the majority of our clients, and ourselves. But you should always continue to evaluate and make tweaks on your own, based on how you look/feel/perform.

We like the PaNu guy. He’s a smart dude.

8. Carla says

@Melissa – Thanks for the reply! I mentioned that because it took me awhile to get my diet to where it is today. I didn’t really GET how bad vegetable oils were until recently. I used to eat out ALL of the time too so the quality of meat I was getting sucked. I’m sure everything I was eating was cooked in margarine or canola oil (THIS CRAP IS IN EVERYTHING!) too. So now that I’m cooking for all of my meals I really do feel like I’m in a place where I don’t have to supplement at all and that feels good. Thanks again for everything you and Dallas are doing here! I’m looking forward to your future posts.

9. Jimi says

Yikes, looks like I need to buy a different pill. The calculator is telling me I should be having 37 pills a day!

OMG–this is a godsend! FINALLY, an easy calculator to show people within seconds what dosage is recommended. Really cool–THANK YOU so much for posting this!

@Carla: You bring up some really good points – we encourage people to THINK about what they’re eating so as to improve their health through, in part, making high quality food choices. You simply cannot adequately compensate for a crappy quality diet with pills (even good stuff like fish oil).

12. Erin says

Awesome! This thing is great – thanks so much!

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to take liquid fish oil?

I recently bought my first bottle of Nordic Naturals Omega 3 (lemon) – I’d heard that the flavor wasn’t bad so I tried taking a tsp plain. Was not pretty. Any suggestions on favorite methods to cover up the flavor would be appreciated!

What about Krill oil? Supposed to be 48X as effective as fish oil, but the EPA and DHA re 45 and 27 mg respectively, so the calculator says over 200 pills for my bodyweight (210 lbs).

Currently taking one a day and feeling good.

14. Jason W says

Would love to get thoughts on Krill oil as well. Doctors I know who claim they have studied the effects swear by it.

15. Kat says

Only question I have is what is too much? How long did you take 20 pills a day? I always have to check many sources before I can accept something as a fact. I’ve read that greater than 3g daily can be dangerous if on blood thinners (I’m not). I know, I know conventional wisdom (it’s hard to ignore when you are a health care professional). Are there any other resource links re. high dosing omega 3 ?? Thank you :)

16. Eva Bigongiari says

Wow, I’m taking the Carlson’s soft gels right now, and it says I should be taking 52 pills/day. That’s almost half the bottle! My question is this: I find that when I take just 12 pills/day I end up with problems like bruising more easily because it makes my blood so thin. Is there something else I should be taking to avoid the blood thinning problem? I’m not on blood thinning meds, so I guess it’s just a genetic thing. I’m worried that if I take 52 pills/day I may end up with a dangerous bleed some day.

17. Angie says

Hi Melissa,
    What is the key difference between “Maintenance” and “Healthy”?. Maintenance doesn’t say anything about exercise, diet, etc., but would I assume that you have everything perfectly dialed in for Maintenance (and therefore require less supplementation), whereas Healthy you are dialed in, but not taking fish oil for at least 3 months, so you’d start there and switch to Maintenance after 3 months?

Angie

18. Angie says

Part II, if someone is not injured, but training smart, and eating minimal to some sugars, grains, etc. they would fall into which category?

@Ryan: Ha! Justin is a good friend… but the default figures were simply the last numbers I entered for a client (a 200# male, taking Carlson’s lemon-flavored liquid).

@Erin: Use it like dressing… on top of vegetables or a green salad works for me.

@Kat: One way to judge “too much” is if your body tells you it’s too much. If you take too much fish oil at once, your digestive tract won’t be happy. Best to ease into the higher doses, and ALWAYS take with food. And fish oil WILL thin the blood, so that’s (again) something you could talk to your doctor about if you have concerns. There have been some cool studies with Danish athletes and sufferers of bi-polar disorder and high dose N-3 supplementation (Google, sister) but ultimately, you need to figure out what works best for YOU.

@Eva: 52 pills a day sounds crazypants! You must be at the highest factor, and those pills must not contain a whole lot of EPA/DHA. Consider switching to a more potent brand, perhaps? And, again… if you’re worried about bruising or blood thinning, talk to your doctor. (Although my friend Steven Low, uber-smart guy and medical student, suggests ensuring you have enough Vitamin K in your diet if you’re on very high doses of fish oil. Vitamin K plays a role in blood clotting, and can be found in foods like broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, and spinach.)

Reminder to ALL: This information is just a general “consider starting here” guideline, but it’s NOT designed to replace medical advice… or just good, old-fashioned common sense.

@Angie: I’m loving these questions, and the opportunity to explain how we use this kind of calculator for ourselves, and our clients.

“Maintenance” is where you’d end up if you’d been on a higher dose of fish oil for a good amount of time, AND all your life factors are in order. (See Carla’s post above – she got her life factors in order, AND started eating more natural N-3 foods like grass-fed meats, so she felt comfortable reducing her supplementation.) As always, after you make any dietary change, spend some time evaluating how you look/feel/perform and make adjustments as necessary.

As far as “where do I fall…” This isn’t a set-in-stone guideline. If you’re somewhere between categories, enter a Factor of 0.33 or 0.66. (Or 0.726345… go crazy!)

FINALLY, for everyone…a quick thought.

If “Find your DL 1RM” came up as today’s workout, how many of you would simply jump on line, enter your last set of five into a handy-dandy calculator and call it good? Nonsense! What do you do to find your 1RM? You get out there and PICK UP SOMETHING HEAVY.

Same thing applies here, kids. This Fish Oil Calculator is designed to give you a starting point – general guidelines that have worked for Robb’s clients (and ours). But it’s NO substitution for trying it yourself, evaluating how things are going and making adjustments based on your own experiences.

Cool? Cool. Thanks to all for the great questions, feedback and links!

21. Chris says

Per Mellisa – “@Everyone: This shows you why it may be worth “splurging” on a more expensive-by-the-bottle product (like Carlson’s liquid). Some pills have such little EPA/DHA that you end up spending more per month than if you bought a high quality, higher dosage brand. Maybe the next iteration of the calculator should have you plug in the cost and number of pills per bottle, so you can see how much your fish oil “habit” will cost you every month!”

Isn’t it price/g of epa & dha that really matters as opposed to number of pills? If it is, I did a quick calc., and the Whole Foods fish oil appears to be better value than Carlson’s.

22. Laura says

Melissa,
    Great calculator!!! Helped me figure out what I should be taking, especially like the different factors. As a LEO, I am a bit concerned about the blood thinning side effect so this helped me find a midway point so I can get the benefits, without putting myself in danger should something really bad happen at work! I try to eat only grassfed meat and pasture raised poultry to help too.
    you guys are awesome!! Keep it up!

@Chris: Dude… nice catch, you are absolutely right. My typing sometimes works faster than my brain. Two points I wanted to make.

ONE, for those people who have to take a LOT of fish oil… liquid is sometimes a better choice, maybe not because it’s dollars-and-cents cheaper, but because it’s “physically” cheaper. Four teaspoons goes down a whole lot faster and easier than 20 pills.

TWO, it should be about the price per gram of EPA/DHA, yes. Robb Wolf has a handy little comparison chart on his web site that breaks down the cost exactly as you described.

Thanks for the comment!

Melissa,

Your fish oil calculator rocks!

I recently switched to Nordic Naturals Omega3 liquid at 1,725 mg EPA/DHA. I had been taking the Kirkland fish oil capsules at 300 mg Omega3/capsule (label doesn’t list amount of EPA/DHA)

At a weight of 157 and 0.5 factor, I would need 6 teaspoons of Nordic Naturals vs 26 caps of the Kirkland fish oil (assuming the 300mg Omega3 in Kirkland’s fish oil is all EPA/DHA.

Amazon sells the 16 oz bottle (96 servings) of Nordic Natural Omega3 for $39.48 ($0.41/serving). Which would be a daily habit of $2.47/day or $74/month

Costco sells a bottle of 400 caps at $9.60 ($0.024/serving). Which would be a daily habit of $0.62 or $19/month.

I like the ease of taking the 6 tsp vs 26 caps, but that is a big cost difference. Anyone have a more cost effective option???

25. Ian says

Wow, so I’ve been on a factor of .25. I eat healthy and avoid grains, sugars, legumes and dairy except for a cheat meal once and very rarely twice/week, but since I’m banged up with tendonitis and shoulder pain I guess i should bump it up to .75 factor.

thanks for the great calculator!!!

26. Casey says

Great little tool, and very handy to use as a “double-check.” Definitely does help in providing justification for reading the label and finding sources with a higher dose “per serving.” For those that just can’t get used to liquid oil (for me, it’s the texture), my wife and I have recently been focusing on finding/trying various brands labeled as “Pharmaceutical Grade” because they tend to run a lot higher in total EPA/DHA numbers and also seem to have a bit less of a “burp factor” than those with more “fillers” (what IS that other stuff in there???). The latest we’ve tried is actually 720mg per softgell (don’t know if it’s cool to name brands, so I won’t). That puts me at only 7 required for my “maintenance” level (we do a good job with wild game, wild fish, and other balanced N3/N6 fat sources) – so I don’t have to feel like a pill junkie all the time.

Another good link was posted by Robb Wolf in the notes on his podcast #10, where he linked a Fish Oil “Cost per 1000mg” spreadsheet someone had put together. It may need to be updated with the latest cost per bottle, etc, but it’s a good gage at least. Here’s the Robb Wolf podcast link:

@Wade: Check the Robb Wolf link for a price comparison by brand!

@Casey: Name drop, dude. We don’t have any paid advertisements on the site, nor do we endorse anything in exchange for compensation. But we DO like telling you about products we personally like and use, so if you’ve got a brand recommendation, share it!

To all: I just ordered more of the Carlson’s lemon flavored oil. It’s got 1.3g of EPA/DHA per teaspoon, 40 teaspoons per bottle. It’s on sale at the Vitamin Shoppe for just over $12. Enter coupon code “4444″ and get 10% off your order… I just picked up four bottles for under $50, including shipping. Sweet.

28. Ann says

This is awesome! I just have one question though. Is it ok to take this amount of fish oil if you are pregnant? I know fish oil is recommended for pregnancy but I wasn’t sure if that would change the calculation at all. Thanks so much!

29. Jon says

Good calculator, but the volume of pills (7 for me if I’m at 0.25, 28 for me if I’m at 1.0 based on a 900 mg EPA/DHA pill from Sam’s Club) just seems…well, somewhat overboard. I remember when Robb had discussed this the first time and I did the math myself – I was in total disbelief as you can imagine. I can see the larger volume of supplement taking if injured or perhaps during a short phase (e.g. During a ramp-up session). After that, the goal should be to aim for a lower dosage as time goes on and changes are made in diet and lifestyle.

It could also be the fact that the pills are freakin’ huge compared to other pills, like Vitamin D, that might be also making me really leery about popping what could be considered a month’s supply of Fish Oil in a day.

I’m going to up my intake for sure (averaging about 5 a day max), but I think I’ll do things gradually based on how I feel (i.e. Diet and Activity Level) and as someone said on the CrossFit boards about this, try not to “smell like a walrus” with the overconsumption of Fish Oil.

30. Shawn says

Thanks Melissa,

I always wondered how much I should be taking. I’ve been giving my son a tbsp (3 tsp) a day for a year now (he’s apraxic), and his speech improved quickly and dramatically. His speech therapists were amazed at his progress and I’ve been a proponent ever since.

Anyway, as a 230lb competitive armwrestler (who’s always sore and beat up), I was way under dosing and likely not getting the full benefits. A tbsp a day is not even close to enough (which makes sense at my size), although 5-6 tbsp will be a lot to take. If this will help me heal up faster, I will happily take it…

Shawn

31. JR says

Ok, so I bought Mark Sisson’s fish oil pills….recovering from a cold and a sprained ankle, puts me in the 1.0 category. So, I have to take 41 pills a day? LOL!!!!!!!!! HELP!

32. TexasPatrick says

Did the calculator go away? Went and got my carlsons, came back and neither firefox or safari shows it . . . :-(

@Jon,

I hear your skepticicm, dude… Especially if you’re All Banged Up, a LOT of fish oil (or other clean source of n-3 fatty acids) is required to “cool” down the inflammatory process associated with your illness/injury. I think you’re on the right track, though. Try a maintenance dose if your current state is rockin’, and bump it up if you have any issues that arise that require more “intervention.”

@Shawn,

Yeah, amazing things happen when you give infants and children enough DHA. Plenty of good fat = happy (growing) brains.

@JR,

I hear your horror and surprise at the per-pill dosage. That’s why most of us try to find a way to get the liquid form into us (vs pills), especially if we have to have a bunch of omega 3′s to suppress any big-time inflammatory process that we’ve got going on. Don’t despair – it gets better. Once you’re healed up, drop it down a little, and taper as you see progress. Doing some research on concentration or “strength” of the liquid fish oil helps on dosing and cost a LOT. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

@TexasPatrick,

We’ve had a couple technical glitches recently. We’re back up now, and are doing our darndest to prevent any further disruptions. Our apologies.

34. KH says

Major props on the calculator. Happy to know once and for all I was doing my math correctly.

But, I’ve always wondered: Is there a best method/time of day for taking doses? Is it beneficial to divide the dose up and take some at each meal, or should I take it all in the morning with breakfast to work throughout the day; or maybe all at dinner to take on an even greater repair effect while I’m sleeping? Or am I just thinking too much?

35. Maggie says

Can anyone suggest a good liquid fish oil that doesn’t taste too horrible? The calculator has me taking 45 pills a day so I’m looking for alternatives to taking that many pills. It wouldn’t hurt to lower the monthly cost too. Thanks.

Folks,

Wanted to ask a question regarding flax and or hemp oil/hemp milk. When eating steel cut oats, or making smoothies with coconut or hemp milk, the liquid fish oil just doesn’t taste good as a mix in, and it’s much easier to add a tablespoon of liquid flax, hemp, or a blend like “Udo’s Oil”. Thoughts on this, or how it would affect total daily dosage if also taking a certain amount of fish oil capsules? Unfortunately I couldn’t attend your recent workshop at Crossfit Ignite, but I find the vegetarian oils play a role in my daily diet and wanted to get your opinion.

Sorry we have been behind in responding to comments – we went through a server change-over and stopped getting notifications for a while, and then we got super busy with packing/moving/workshops. Apologies – we’re 100% back on track now, and will continue to respond daily.

@KH: Split your dose up throughout the day. For example, I take 30 pills a day right now (I’m All Banged Up), and split them to 10 pills with 3 meals. Always (!!!) take WITH FOOD… I usually do a few bites of food, all my supplements, and then the rest of my meal.

@Maggie: We like Carlson’s Lemon Flavored liquid – and Barlean’s makes a good orange flavor too, with a tad more EPA/DHA than the Carlson’s. Drizzled over veggies or a salad, you can’t even tell that it’s fish oil.

@Marc M: Unfortunately, the process by which you get the Omega-3s via flax and/or hemp is quite “expensive” (translation: inefficient) compared to fish oil. According to our good friend Matt Lalonde, these plant sources of omega 3 fatty acids contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) almost exclusively. The omega 3 fatty acids that you really need are EPA and DHA. The body can transform ALA into EPA and DHA, but only at very low amounts, AND the process is really inefficient. During that process, the excess ALA spills over into pathways that synthesize bad hormones.

In summary, we prefer fish oil, even if it doesn’t taste as good.

38. Anthony says

Any thoughts on krill oil? epa/dha 150/90……I know it it absorbed easier into the cells but how much?

I was wondering about the calorie content…the calculator recommended 10 tsp of fish oil for me based on the “banged up” multiplier. That is 400 calories/day. I’m just on day 3 og the whole 30 (hope I am doing it correctly) and am freaked out about NOT counting calories, macros, etc. Now I see that I’m taking in an extra 400 calories and my head is about to explode. Should I be limiting intake /restricting calories to compensate?

Thanks in advance…I sent an e-mail about consultation and hope I get a response soon.

Ana

@Anthony: I’ve read the krill oil claims, and I know smart people like Eades like it. Our thought is that fish oil works really well, and is far less expensive. I’ve got no dosing recommendations for krill, because (for those reasons) we don’t recommend it for our clients. Sorry about that…

@Ana: Great question! We’re actually going to take this one main page next week, because we get this often at our workshops. Stay tuned! (PS I never received your consultation email – I went back through my filters and nothing came up! Send it to me again, to melissa@whole9life.com.)

Melissa- Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep the eyes peeled for your response to the calorie question. I’ve been taking the 10 tsp/day this last week. Hope your post comes in before my head explodes! ;) Hee!

I re-sent the message regarding the consulting. It was sent from my yahoo e-mail so I hope it isn’t getting filtered to the “spam” folder.

By the way, I am a week in to the WHole 30 and I find I am SUPER thirsty. I usually drink a ton of water so being thirsty is weird and has lead to crazy night time bathroom visits. Is “camel coming out of the desert” thirst normal?

Thanks a bunch-

Ana

42. Chris says

Great calculator! So i have to take 18 pills a day according to the calculator. The number of pills doesn’t bother me so much, but dude this isn’t fun. It’s been 2 days now and I got the fish burpees, I blow my nose and it smells like fish, every time i take a piss it smells like fish, and I don’t know if I’m starting to sweat like a fish too during my WODs. haha. I all banged up still, but I don’t how long i can stand this fishy business. haha.

Chris, I always had that problem with fish oil so I never could get regular with them. This time I purchased the Carlson’s Fish Oil Lemon and I have no burps, smell, etc. Try it. It makes a BIG difference!

44. Josh S. says

Hi there!

Thanks for the the handy calculator, really helpful to have one of these.

When I punch in my numbers I get a “Recommended Daily Dose” of 4.6 grams (this is the bottom of the left hand column)

I’m using Carlson’s Cod Liver Oil.

As I look on the Carlson’s label, 4.6 grams happens to equal exactly 1 tsp (5ml).

But… when I look at the calculator it says I should be having 6 tsps a day?

I’m 185 pounds, doing maintenance having Carlson’s 500 DHA/400 EPA.

Thanks for any response that might resolve my 5tsp difference:) and I hope I’m not making some completely daft mistake here;)

-Josh

Josh,

At 185 pounds and a 0.25 maintenance dose, your actual dosage should be 5 teaspoons, not 5 grams. The 4.6 gram recommendation is for total EPA + DHA dose, not total fish oil dose. So… it takes 5 teaspoons of your brand of cod liver oil (not the best source of concentrated EPA and DHA) to add up to the 4.6 grams of EPA + DHA. I’d recommend switching from the CLO to a good concentrated fish oil like Barlean’s or Carlson’s. Hope this helps.

Dallas

46. Dave S says

What about getting some of the required omega-3 from flaxseed? I can’t see myself taking 20 fish-oil pills, but a few pills and ground flaxseed with my oatmeal and flaxseed oil on my salad can get my intake to the recommended. Any comments appreciated!

@MarkH: If the calculator says you need to take a lot of pills, I might suggest changing some dietary and lifestyle factors so your need to supplement isn’t so great. Win/win.

@DaveS: There are countless problems with getting your N-3′s from flax. It requires an extremely inefficient conversion process – your body has to do a lot of work to get the EPA and DHA you need out of flax. And the conversion pathway is fraught with difficulties that can, in fact, lead to MORE inflammation – the exact opposite of the intention. Finally, even if everything works perfectly, the amount of N-3 you actually GET out of a serving of flax is so small it practically doesn’t count.

Fish oil gets the EPA and DHA you need straight from the source, no conversion process necessary. It’s the most direct and efficient way to supplement. Skip the flax and invest in a good fish oil instead.

48. Soren says

So, according to this calculator I’m supposed to consume 80 pills a day!!! Am I missing something?

Bw: 159

Factor: 0.75

EPA/DHA (from 6 pills): 540/360 mg

Please help me out with this one!

And btw, how come that according the label on the fish oil, 6 pills contain 1200 mg omega 3, even though it says it only contains 540 mg EPA and 360 mg DHA?

Soren,

You’re not missing anything, no. The deal is this: your capsules are the opposite of concentrated. High-quality capsules would contain that much EPA + DHA in 2 capsules, not 6! We generally recommend liquid fish oil (higher concentrations, fresher product, and no capsule ingredients), and we really like StrongerFasterHealthier’s offerings: http://strongerfasterhealthier.com/ref/Whole9. Use that link for 10% off all your purchases, or just enter “Whole9″ as a discount code at checkout. P.S. The vanilla and chocolate flavors are surprisingly good (if a little weird). The lemon and tangerine are standard flavors, and are tasty as well.

On your other question… basically, EPA and DHA are the important long-chain omega-3′s, although fish oil does contain small amounts of other (unimportant) omega-3′s. Hope this helps.

50. Soren says

@Dallas: Thank you very much for your help, I wil definitely consider switching to liquid fish oil once I’m done with the capsules I have stored:)

@Mark:

No worries on the link – we like it when people share products they like here. However, we seriously caution people against buying fish oil in such large quantities. As Dallas has mentioned in a few posts, fish oil is a very fragile substance, easily compromised by light, heat and age. And rancid fish oil is quite literally poison.

The chances of a gallon of fish oil – which will be hanging out in most of our homes for a good length of time – maintaining structural integrity to the last drop is, at best, suspect… in practical application, I’d guarantee it to be impossible.

Consider purchasing smaller bottles more frequently, to ensure freshness. It may be more expensive, but having to throw away a half-gallon of rancid fish oil can’t be cheap, either.

Cat,

The Calculator works for liquid, too! Just enter your stats and amounts (EPA + DHA) in each teaspoon of your liquid, and the Calculator does the rest! The StrongerFasterHealthier brand is super-clean, very pure, and very concentrated, which means that you don’t have to take as much as with less concentrated brands. Hope this helps.

Dallas

53. kellie says

Where is the fish oil calculator?! The link takes you to a page saying that it is no longer needed due to the simple dosing guidelines. There are no guidelines for dosing either. Help!